I gave up making resolutions a few years ago. They were never kept because I never remembered them. On top of that, I don’t like the guilt that can be the by-product of resolutions. I get enough of that from tippy-toeing around the minefield that is parenting. For these reasons I opt to have a New Year’s theme. It may only be a few words but this theme is the tune I endeavour to hear in my head above the sound of hooves as I ride bareback into a new year on a wild, galloping horse.
What is my mantra for this coming year? 2014 is set to be the year of less of this and more of that. It’s suitably vague enough not to commit me to anything but, if adhered to, has the potential to put a thumbscrew on the things that take up more of my time than they really ought to. I also hope it will tweak the nose of everything that I find annoying about myself. Something of a tall order but for which – be still your beating hearts – I’ve made a shortlist below:
- Pussy footing / navel gazing / thumb twiddling / head scratching
- What if?
- Multiple browser tabs whilst trying to work (Facebook and Twitter aren’t my friends)
- Property Wars and Storage Hunters
- Holding my tongue (not in the literal sense – I get enough dribble from my 2-year-old).
- Channeling the Orange Rhino
- Grabbing the bull by the horns
- Clichés (see point above)
- Letting it all wash over me (I’m not going to be where the pebble drops, I’m going to be riding one of those gentle ripples right at the very edge, dude)
- Balls (I’m going to grow some)
- Appreciating the good stuff whilst kicking the bad stuff in the crotch
- Speaking my mind (pre-speaking risk assessments still apply)
- Self-indulgent blog posts.
Two days into 2014 and how am I doing? Well, going by the last point on my list I’d say that‘s a finger swipe in the air to me. Off to a good start, only 363 days to go.
Happy New Year!